Ladies Finger, Bhindi or Okra –
benefits to body + sow
Here’s something new …
A guy has been suffering from constipation for the past 20 years and recently from acid reflux.
He didn’t realize that the treatment could be so simple – Ladies Finger! He started eating Ladies Finger within the last 2 months and since then he never taken medication again. All he did was consume 6 pieces of Ladies Finger everyday.
He’s now regular and his blood sugar has dropped from 135 to 98, with his cholesterol and acid reflux also under control.
Here are some facts on Ladies Finger from the research of Ms. Sylviae (nutricion), University of Illinois. “Ladies Finger is a powerhouse of valuable nutrients, nearly half of which soluble fiber in the form of gums and pectin’s. Soluble fiber helps to lower serum cholesterol, reducing the risk of heartr disease. The other half is insoluble fiber which helps to keep the intestinal tract healthy, decreasing the risk of some forms of cancer, especially colo-rectal cancer. Ladies Finger is rich source of many nutrients, including fiber, vitamin B6 and folic acid. She got the following numbers from the University of Illinois Extension Ladies Finger Page
Please check there for some more details. Ladies Finger Nutrition (half-cup cooked Ladies Finger) calories = 25
Dietary Fiber = 2 grams
Protein = 1.5 grams
Carbohydrates = 5.8 grams
Vitamin A = 460 IU
Vitamin C = 13 mg
Folic Acid = 36.5 micrograms
Calcium = 50 mg
Iron Filtered = 0.4 mg
Potassium = 256 mg
Magnesium = 46 mg
These numbers should be used as a guideline only, and if you are on a medically-restricted diet please consult your physician and/or dietician. Ms. Sylviae(nutritionist) has very kindly provided the following thoughtprovoking comments on the many benefits of this versatile vegetable. They are well worth reading.
- The superior fiber found in Ladies Finger helps to stabilize blood sugar as it curbs the rate at which sugar is absorbed from the intestinal tract.
- Many alternative health practitioners believe all disease begins in the colon. The Ladies Finger fiber, absorbing water and ensuring bulk in stools, helps prevent constipation. Fiber is general is helpful for this but Ladies Finger is one of the best, along with ground flax seed and psyllium. Unlike harsh wheat bran, which can irritate or injure the intestinal tract, Ladies Finger’s mucilage soothes, and Ladies Finger facilitates elimination more comfortably by its slippery characteristic many people abhor. In other words, the incredibly valuable vegetable not only binds excess cholesterol and toxins (in bile acids) which cause numerous health problems, if not evacuated, but also assures their easy passage from the body. The veggie is completely non-toxic, non habit forming (except for many who greatly enjoy eating it), has no adverse side effects, is full of nutrients, and is economically within reach of most.
- Further contributing to the health of the intestinal tract, Ladies Finger fiber (as well as flax and psyllium) has no equal among fibers for feeding the good bacteria (probiotics).
- To retain most of Ladies Finger’s nutrient and self-digesting enzymes!, it should be cooked as little as possible, e.g. with low heat or lightly steam. Some eat it row.
- Ladies Finger’s mucilage not only binds cholesterol but bile acid carrying toxins dumped into it by the filtering liver. But it doesn’t stop there
Thank you, Readers,
p.s: contribution by friend.