Friday, June 6, 2008

Does faster internet connection needed for organizations…

Unlike in US, UK, Korea and Japan, we live Indonesia where as the availability of good broadband connection for consumer is still a big question.

I use dial up at home (come on la..dont laugh at me) things were slow so does my productivity too. I could never able to setup my godaddy hosting account (most of the time "request time out").

I knew few companies use dial up connection, so i am better.

I recently got broadband connection at much faster speed and I could finish many unsettled issues because of my pervious slower connection. But now I can do things much faster.

Yes...Definelty for sure the faster internet connection does matter for your productivity...hi hold on. Does it applicable for organization (not an IT company for instance) companies having ample of employees and having fast internet access, would they achieve higher productivity?
We have to be very careful with this faster issue. I somehow have mixed response about this. I could say “Yes” and “No’”.

Employees tend to become addict to internet with faster internet access thus less productivity, whereas people just ignore their browsing and get back to work once they find their favorite sites takes hours to load thus more time spend on work (be careful I am not saying high productivity, slow internet might upset them and hence no concentration on the work).

We should balance both, I strongly believe in providing faster bandwidth for employees, however restricting access to those websites which people tend to spend hours and hours.

In our company, we do stop access to video sharing portals and social networking websites during the operational hours. Employees are allowed to browse their favorite site after office operational hours.

So my conclusion, provide your employees with fast internet connection for better productivity with proper access rules (fire wall settings).

Yes. It does matter.

Thank you, Readers.
JS

No comments: